Wednesday, July 28, 2010
Tuesday, July 6, 2010
|Zumbo's macaron tower from Masterchef Australia|
450g almond meal
450g icing sugar
165g fresh egg whites
450g caster sugar
165g old egg whites
3g powdered egg white
1. Preheat ovens to 200°C.
2. Weigh out macaron ingredients.
3. Using a drum or fine sieve, sift batch of almond meal and icing sugar together in a bowl. Mix batch of fresh egg whites with the almond mixture to make a paste until well combined and smooth.
4. Add batch of sugar and water to a saucepan. Place saucepan over low heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat to medium-low and slowly bring the mixture to a rolling boil. Cook the mixture until it reaches 119°C, brushing down the sides with a dampened pastry brush. Remove from the heat (the mixture needs to be added to the egg mixture at 121°C).
5. Meanwhile, using an electric mixer, add the old egg whites and powdered egg to a large bowl and beat until combined. Slowly add the sugar syrup (at 121°C) in a thin stream and beat on a medium speed until thick and glossy. Continue to beat the meringue until it has cooled completely.
6. Fold ¼ of the meringue into the almond paste, to loosen up the mixture, then fold through remaining meringue until combined.
7. Place the macaron mixture in 2 large piping bags.
8. Pipe each batch of macarons, 3-4cm circles onto 6 lined baking trays (4 x 7 macarons each tray).
9. Leave to set for at least 30 minutes to form a crust.
10. Place the macarons into 2 ovens (3 trays in each oven). Turn the ovens off and leave for 10 minutes, then turn ovens on to 155°C and bake for a further 9-10 minutes. Remove from the oven.